Farmer Peter Spencer issued Eviction Notice
grazier gets eviction notice
Fri Jan 29 2010By Simon Jenkins
MP Tony Windsor says the Liberals did nothing for
farmers' property rights when in government.
Peter Spencer has been served an eviction notice
to vacate his southern NSW property little more
than a fortnight after he ended a 52-day hunger
strike."I've lost my farm," he told
reporters in Canberra on Friday.
action is believed to have been taken by members
of his family who are owed money by Mr Spencer.
Mr Spencer spent 52 days on a hunger strike on a
suspended platform at his property in protest at
laws which stop farmers clearing native
vegetation on their land.Mr Spencer's adult
children have all returned to the United States,
while his two younger children are living in
Denmark with his wife. "I want to stress
that my sister needs to be paid, it's not her
fault," Mr Spencer said.
Spencer says his fight was not about money.
"It's not important, this is a struggle for
what we believe in...... I've got to get on now
with what we've got to try and achieve for
Australia - land rights."
"The sheriff's been, they've served my
notice, I'm being evicted next week," he
said.The grazier instead blamed state government
laws that prevent him from clearing native
vegetation from his property, located between
Canberra and Cooma.His hunger strike has prompted
farmers to plan a protest rally outside
Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday.
The federal government says it won't support
Tuesday's farmers rally.But it's not because it
doesn't acknowledge the property rights issue
exists, says Agriculture Minister Tony Burke.Mr
Burke says any government involvement in the
rally, to support former hunger-striking NSW
farmer Peter Spencer, would send the wrong
message to farmers who may be considering self-harm.
Mr Burke has told the NSW Farmers Association he
won't attend the rally, although he agrees that
property rights have been a significant issue for
farmers for "more than a decade".Mr
Burke says he is always willing to talk through
the issue with farmers.
However, Tuesday's rally has a specific problem
at which the government to drew the line. The
media release announcing the rally outside
Parliament House and the website promoting it
directly link the protest with the actions of a
farmer, a few months ago, engaging in self-harm,
Mr Burke says."I've always had a very firm
view that when someone engages in self-harm, you
don't tell them: 'You're a hero'," Mr Burke
told AAP.The only message that any politician
should give in those circumstances was to stop,
Mr Burke said every time he travelled around
Australia, he was told too many stories of
farmers being involved in very serious acts of
self-harm."This is a real problem in the
bush and is something that under no circumstances
should any politician be involved in promoting,"
he said. The federal government had taken steps
to alleviate the problem by introducing
stewardship payments through a limited pilot
program relating to the box gum woodlands, he
said."That's not a solution for everything,
and we don't pretend that it is. But, at least,
for the first time ever, there is now a formal
government acknowledgment of the good work
farmers do," he said.
Burke also said the government had been looking
at the issue long before Mr Spencer decided to go
on his hunger strike.It was an issue for the
upper house if a Senate inquiry into the matter
was to go ahead, he said. But he indicated he
would only meet with the NSW Farmers Association
following the protest.
Liberal senator Nigel Scullion defended the
coalition's record in dealing with NSW farmers'
property rights.Senator Scullion described as
"absolute garbage" claims from
Independent MP Tony Windsor that the coalition
did little to preserve property rights for
farmers.The previous coalition government,
especially The Nationals, was very focused on
sorting out the complex issue of property rights,
he said."There was a whole range of
initiatives to ensure that people had security
and secure access," Senator Scullion told
Dear Fellow Freedom Fighters,
Above is the Channel 9 story on
Peter Spencer being evicted by the Sheriffs next week.
Peter told me about this before he
started his hunger strike .... but his so-called "legal
representatives" have done NOTHING about it
either then or, obviously, since.
Any court action to gain a Writ of
Possession was NEVER done lawfully .... that's right ....
it's the perpetual Australian Kangaroo Court doing exactly
what the Bankers want.
Where the Farmers are gathering next
Tuesday in Canberra .....at the MAGNA CARTA MONUMENT ....
is the very place where "No free man shall be
taken indeed imprisoned, either dispossessed, or outlawed,
or exiled, or in any manner destroyed, nor pass over him,
nor send over him, except by means of the legal judgment
of his own equals indeed the law of the land." is
emblazoned around the copper dome of the rotunda.
"No free man shall be
...dispossessed.....unless by (a jury)....".
HOW MUCH MORE EMPHATIC CAN A STATEMENT BE????And yet,
these Kangaroo Courts .... with their clueless staff and
Sheriffs .... carry on in true Totalitarian fashion
... acting unfairly, dishonestly, disregarding legal
rights and disregarding legal procedures.
NEXT TUESDAY: ...... will the
Farmers be made aware of the skulduggery in our Courts?.......
will the Farmers actually read the inscriptions all
over the MAGNA CARTA MONUMENT?........ OR, will the
Farmers believe the " counsellors, judges and
ministers" when they are told, "Trust us."?
NEXT MONDAY: .......
what ought to be done is a Notice of Motion be filed for
a Prohibitive Injunction to Stay the Execution of the
Warrant "until the case is fully heard" ... and
a Challenge to the Jurisdiction of the Court on all
grounds filed in that self-same "Court".
Who is really running the PETER
SPENCER FIGHT FOR PROPERTY RIGHTS?
Come on, Peter..... you're the best
man for the job ....... and give them lawyers the