Over one month ago the Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF)
fired on Palestinian cameraman Imad Ghanem, shooting
repeatedly at both of his legs as he lay defenseless and
unarmed on the ground. Since that attackone
of Israels many bloody attacks on the Gaza
Stripthis past July, Ghanem has been waiting for
justice and medical rehabilitation.
Without Borders Friday called for the results of the
investigation into the multi-wound shooting to be
Ghanem, whose legs had to be amputated as a result of
the shooting, is meanwhile waiting for permission to
leave the Strip to go to Egypt to be fitted with
artificial legs. But this has been very difficult
so far, due to the over two-month long Rafah border
closing: no humanitarian cases are allowed in or out of
the Gaza Strip.
The only reaction from the Israeli authorities
to our initial request for information, the day after the
shooting, was to say that the origin of the shots could
not be identified in the footage available, and to claim
that Ghanem was working among the
terrorists, the organization for press
freedom said. We have not yet received a response
from the Israeli government to our request for a thorough
investigation. Reporters Without
Borders added: Ghanem, meanwhile, needs help. He is
still waiting for a chance to travel to Egypt to be given
prosthetic limbs. He also needs re-education sessions in
order to be able to live normally and go back to work. We
call on the Israeli and Egyptian authorities who control
the Rafah crossing to act quickly so that he can receive
the appropriate treatment.
Ghanem, who was working for Al Aqsa TV, was seriously
injured by the IOF army fire while covering an incursion
to the east of the Al Bureij refugee camp in the middle
of Gaza Strip, during which at least 12 Palestinians were
killed. Although he was not wearing any item of
clothing that said Press or TV,
he was carrying a TV camera and he was with a number of
Ghanem told Reporters Without Borders yesterday that
the Israeli authorities have not tried to contact him for
his version of what happened. He explained that he
was not wearing any sign identifying him as a journalist
because he did not have time to go to the TV station.
I went directly to the scene of the clashes, which
were taking place near my home, he said. I
did not want to risk arriving too late, he said
from his reclining position, still waitingwithout
any possibilityto receive medication.
Although the Association of Arab Doctors in Cairo has
offered the immediate reception of Ghanem in Egypt for
medication, including sponsorship by the association,
Ghanem is no longer able to exit Gaza, even with the
intervention of human rights organizations. So
Ghanem will have to wait. A journalist struggling
to get words and photos out to the rest of the world, he
nonetheless has no recourse for exiting Gaza: his
journalist status will not help him. It might even
make him more of a target, putting his life in danger as
he reveals the truth, as is the case with many other
Palestinian journalists in the Gaza Strip and West Bank.
JOURNALIST ASSAULTED IN GERMANY
- 47 YR OLD, HE NAILS THREE MEN
Mike James assaulted, leaving
Mike James August 7, 2007
Last night I was attacked by three guys close to the
junction of the Bockenheimer Lanstrassse and the
Siesmayerstrasse (where I used to live with my ex-Frau,
Helen). I have reason to believe that they meant to kill
me for what I have written in defence of Ernst Zundel.
To cut a long story short, (and I have to because my hand
is swollen) I've been fighting a long secret war with the
German government these last 18 months over the Zundel
Affair. I'm losing. I'm getting death threats again
(2006-2007) phone rings, just breathing but I recognise
the pattern. I'm at my wit's end.
The government does not intend to harm me. They know they
(legally) cannot touch me because I confront them with
The guys who came at me last night tried to:
a) slash my throat,
b) remove my fingers.
There were three of them. The guy in the middle came at
me with a knife and another who leaped a car came at me
with pliers. There was also a third who tried to strangle
The one with the knife shouted "Nazi".
They also spoke French. I know French when I hear it.
I am 47 years old and not in the best of health. I am
just an ordinary Englishman; I have no military training
apart from four years in the Cub Scouts and three years
skiving off rugby (and spending every Saturday morning in
detention as a result).
Somehow, God help me, I put three young men in hospital
They destroyed my spectacles and my right hand and also
caused me to lose my briefcase with around 200 euros and
a two pairs of Peek & Kloppenburg boxer shorts. But
two of them need remedial dental treatment and the guy
with the knife needs a new nose.
I have reported this to the police as a murder attempt
(the second in 1997, the Brits tried to take me out prior
to my investigations in Kenya). I have to leave Germany.
I need to pull all of my URLs published at Rense, TTS,
and GLF (and Lew Rockwell, Onlinejournal, etc). I'm
thinking of going to Switzerland. Please pull everything
I have written. If you need URLs, I'll supply them.
This message has taken me almost 120 minutes to write.
Every fucking letter is causing me enormous pain. Please
remove all my online work.
I'll be in touch.
Media Worker Death Toll Reaches 200
Report, Reporters Without Borders, Sep 7, 2007
An Iraqi translator for a United States' television
network has been found dead in Iraq, bringing the number
of journalists and media workers killed in the country
since the start of the U.S.-led invasion in March 2003 to
200, Reporters Without Borders (Reporters sans
frontieres, RSF) reports.Anwar Abbas Lafta, an Iraqi
translator and interpreter for CBS News, was found dead
on 25 August in eastern Baghdad, five days after he was
abducted.He was kidnapped by a group of 10 gunmen who
forced their way into his Baghdad home on 20 August, beat
his brother and shot and wounded his sister, RSF says.
Anwar Abbas was the only one that was apprehended. CBS
News said his abductors contacted the family several
times to demand a ransom. The police eventually found his
body in the eastern Baghdad district of Sadr City.
According to RSF, 73 percent of journalists killed in
Iraq were directly targeted - "much higher than in
previous wars in which journalists were above all the
victims of collateral damage and stray bullets," RSF
says.Eighty-eight per cent of journalists and media
workers killed were Iraqis, often those who work for
foreign news media.
Most of the 200 media fatalities took place in Baghdad
(110 cases) or near the capital (34 cases), says RSF. The
remaining cases were mostly centred in the north of the
country, especially in Mosul and Kirkuk.More journalists
are also taken hostage in Iraq than anywhere else in the
world, says RSF. A total of 84 journalists and media
workers (64 per cent of them Iraqis) have been kidnapped
there in the past four years. Only about half of them
were freed. Fourteen are still being held by their
shocking record of some of these deaths:
dropped against detained Iraqi media workers
Statement, Committee to Protect Journalists (Aug
The Committee to Protect Journalists welcomes Monday's
decision by a criminal court in Baghdad to dismiss the
charge of incitement to terror against 11 current and
former employees of the independent Iraqi production
company Wasan Media.
to Arif Ali Flaih
Susanne Fischer, Institute for War and Peace Reporting
(Jul 13, 2007)
Violence has claimed IWPR reporter who helped establish a
ground-breaking radio show on women's issues. He loved to
speak French. When Ari Ali Flaih, 32, first arrived at
the IWPR training center in Sulaimaniyah, he immediately
tried out the international trainers' French. He had
never been to France, but he was in love with the
language and the country. Flaih will never go to France.
He was killed by a roadside bomb on June 11, 2007, when
he was driving from Khalis to Hibhib, eight kilometers
northwest of Baquba in the province of Diyala.
murder editor of daily "al-Sabah"
Statement, Reproters Without Borders (Jun 19,
Reporters Without Borders has voiced deep outrage at the
murder of Filaih Wadi Mijthab, editor of the daily
"al-Sabah", whom kidnappers snatched from his
car on 13 June 2007 as he was driving to work. His body
was found near a mosque in Sadr City, one of nine Baghdad
suburbs, on 15 June. It appeared he had been
"executed" the previous evening.
journalists killed in less than a week by armed groups
Statement, Reporters Without Borders (Jun 5, 2007)
Reporters Without Borders has voiced deep shock at the
murders of four Iraqi journalists by armed groups within
a space of five days. The body of a local TV station
employee was found in the boot of his car in the northern
city of Kirkuk on 26 May 2007. A Turkmen journalist was
killed in Kirkuk on 28 May. Gunmen burst into the home of
a journalism teacher and contributor to several media
outlets in Amariyah, near Fallujah, on 29 May, killing
him and seven members of his family. A Shiite journalist
was fatally shot on 30 May in the southern town of Amara.
Face Repression on All Sides
Mohammed A. Salih, Electronic Iraq (May 23, 2007)
The working environment for Iraq's journalists is
becoming increasingly dangerous and difficult, with 31
killed just since the start of this year, according to
the International Federation of Journalists.
found dead in Baghdad; US army raids offices of Shi'ite
Statement, Reporters Without Borders (May 23,
Reporters Without Borders has condemned the 20 May 2007
murder in Baghdad of Ali Khalil, of the daily
"al-Zaman" ("Time"), and the
kidnapping on 9 May of the journalist Salam Duhi